Re: CP

Jan Schlauer (zxmsl01@studserv.zdv.uni-tuebingen.de)
Wed, 17 Nov 1993 15:18:01 +0100

Don, you wrote:
>D. sp. (Auyan Tepui) are beginning to flower. This is an unspectacular
>rosette. Is there a simple key for rosette Drosera to tell the differences
>between D. capillaris, D. montana, and D. brevifolia? I don't know what
>other species my plants could be than those three.

You certainly can key out your plant, but it won't be as simple as you
might demand! This is the most complex species group in _Drosera_ known so
far (even worse than the S Africans we have dealt with some time ago!). You
will most probably need seeds, and this means you will need a good lens
and/or a low-power microscope.
Here is a key for the species which might come into consideration. I have
bracketed out characters which are not diagnostic but may be of some help:

1. Stipules present, adnate for their whole length with the exception of two
inconspicuous lateral setae, cauline leaves absent. (Petals shorter than 8
mm. Scape conspicuous. Seeds papillate)
_D.brevifolia_ Pursh
1'. Stipules always present and conspicuous. (Stipules adnate to petiole for up
to 1/2 of their length, lamina not more than 3 times as long as wide)
2. Seeds papillate
3. Seeds crateriform-papillate, scapes erect
4. Scapes glabrous or inconspicuously glandular-puberulent
_D.capillaris_ Poir. s.l.
5. Scapes longer than 5 cm, sepals longer than 2 mm
_D.capillaris_ Poir. s.str.
6. Seed testa papillose, smaller plants
_var.capillaris_
6'. Seed testa rugose-favose, larger plants (that's what Diels says!)
_var.brasiliensis_ Diels
5'. Scapes shorter than 5 cm, sepals shorter than 2 mm
_D.tenella_ Willd. ex Roem. & Schult.
4'. Scapes with conspicuous indumentum
7. Scapes glandular-pilose
_D.panamensis_ Correa & A.S.Taylor
7'. Scapes eglandular pilose
_D.colombiana_ Fernandez-Perez (I cannot
decide if this species has crateriform
or rather bullate papillae on the seeds,
yet. Thus, it might as well be related
to _D.montana_
or even identical with
_D.mont.var.schwackei_)
3'. Seeds bullate-papillate, scapes ascending.
8. Scapes glandular-pubescent, at least partly, plants acaulescent,
petioles
short, gradually broadening into lamina
9. Scapes 10-25 cm long with usu. more than 10 flowers
_D.roraimae_ (Klotzsch ex Diels)
Maguire & Laundon
9'. Scapes 1-15 cm long with usu. fewer than 10 flowers
_D.montana_ St.Hil.
10. Stipules divided to centre
11. Scape base glandular-pilose
_var.montana_
11'. Scape base eglandular-pilose
12. Sepals glandular-pilose
_var.tomentosa_ (St.Hil.) Diels
12'. Sepals eglandular-pilose
_var.schwackei_ Diels
(?=_D.colombiana_)
10'. Stipules divided to base
_var.hirtella_ (St.Hil) Diels
8'. Scapes glabrous, plants often caulescent, petioles long, lamina
distinct
_D.intermedia_ Hayne
2'. Seeds foveolate or reticulate. (Plants acaulescent, leaves in
basal
rosettes. Scapes erect)
13. Scapes glabrous or inconspicuously glandular puberulent
14. Sepals shorter than 3 mm
_D.esmeraldae_ (Steyerm.) Maguire &
Wurdack
14' Sepals longer than 3 mm
_D.pusilla_ H.B.K.
13'. Scapes with conspicuous indumentum
15. Scapes glandular-pilose
16.Petioles setaceous-pilose beneath
_D.arenicola_ Steyerm.
17. Scapes up to 2 cm long with up to 4 flowers
_var.arenicola_
17'. Scapes longer than 2 cm with more than 4 flowers
_var.occidentalis_ Maguire &
Wurdack
16'. Leaves glabrous or sparingly, i.e.not setaceous pilose beneath
_D.cayennensis_ Sagot ex Diels
15'. Scapes eglandular-pilose
18. Flowers 2-5, peduncle longer than 2 cm
_D.kaieteurensis_ Brumm.-Ding.
18'. Flowers single, rarely 2, peduncle scarcely 2.5 mm long
_D.felix_ Steyerm.& L.B.Smith

Now see the problems? A great deal of confusion is contributed by the fact
all these species are quite polymorphic, the above cited key being suitable
only for "typical" individuals! Most of the species in the key were not yet
found on Mt. Auyan-tepui, Venezuela. But I included them as one must never
say "never".
Do not hesitate to ask questions (I myself have some, too) concerning the
key or some of the above mentioned species. We just are in the centre of
some of the greatest _Drosera_ troubles I can think of.
Good luck, anyway!
Kind regards
Jan