RE: frogs etc

From: EdwardK674@aol.com
Date: Wed Dec 27 2000 - 09:18:26 PST

Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2000 12:18:26 EST
From: EdwardK674@aol.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: RE: frogs etc

In a message dated 12/27/00 3:09:39 AM Eastern Standard Time,
cp@opus.labs.agilent.com writes:

<< Bromeliads are not as
 important with frogs like D. auratus but are a necessity for frogs like D.
 tinctorius, so make your choices according to the frog you chose. What
 species of frog do you plan on getting? Michael >>

Actually other than some of the obligate egg feeding dart frogs (the females
make rounds and feed the tadpoles unfertilized eggs) bromeliads are not even
close to necessary for most Dendrobates species (They just look cool). The
dart frogs will lay thier eggs quite happily under half coconut shells (I
actually use the black bottoms to 2-liter soda bottles that are no longer in
productionand have breed many tincts) in a petri dish. Even the obligate egg
eaters will use small water holding dishes as long as the dishes are
sheltured and spread out. I would have concerns about any really sticky
plants as all frog skins are sensitive to toxins and pollutants plus the
potential to trap the frog. Also any non-tropical plants would have to be
eliminated as the cool period would indicate them as unsuitable such as fly
traps. In the frogs natural habitat the only cps they would probably be
likely to encounter would be terrestrial utrics. But I haven't been to
Central/South America to see cps in the wild (yet). Mybe some of our Southern
CPers on the list can shed a little light on this topic.
Ed