Re: d.communis

From: FOODBAG@aol.com
Date: Fri Dec 22 2000 - 07:26:03 PST

Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2000 10:26:03 EST
From: FOODBAG@aol.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: d.communis

  Jack,

  That medium is probably workable, but it's a better medium for Mexican
Pings than Drosera. Peat and one of the other mediums would work(sand would
be the best of the three, if it's not alkaline or salty).
  I agree with Sundew Matt, that sphagnum seems to work better for me with
Drosera. We both grow under lights in tanks, and maybe that is the common
link to why that works so well. Milled sphagnum works great as a medium to
sow Drosera seed, like D. burmanii and D. indica, but peat/sand or just peat
would work with those two. Probably the medium you used for the D. communis,
too.They are both annuals and don't have time to complain about the
environment, so as long as it's low nutrient and acidic, they will sprout,
grow, flower, die( Die, Die, hahahaha-er, sorry).
  Remember the seed are very tiny, so even heavy breathing can scater them.
Just sow them on top of the medium and spray with a little fungicide. Keep
the humidity high and the light bright and they should germinate.
  If this is related to the documentary, no thoughts on tropical D.
intermedia? :)
  Hope that helps.

  Regards,

  Joe Griffin
  Lincoln, NE USA

  Where it is below zero, but luckily not very windy, but we are getting a
balmy 20 degrees F today.