RE: growing CP under lights... and some thoughts

From: john green (thegreens13@juno.com)
Date: Thu Dec 21 2000 - 08:13:05 PST

Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 11:13:05 -0500 (EST)
From: john green <thegreens13@juno.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: RE: growing CP under lights... and some thoughts

-----Original Message-----

>heres a pic of part of my indoor drosera setup, located
>in my living room.

>http://www.geocities.com/HotSprings/Sauna/9219/pics/cpsetup.jpg

I'm guessing Sundew Matt isn't married (or has a very understanding wife)
;-). I have a bit different problem. If it's in any viewable area within
or without the house it must look good. This can be a problem with CPs
because they grow best in plastic pots (which isn't very asthetic according
to my wife) and require high humidity (no matter how great the plant,
putting a plastic bag over the top doesn't look good!). I've tried clay
pots, which fit better with my wife's overall decorating scheme than
plastic, but they really don't work well for CPs. To complicate the matter,
they need lots of light, which usually meant I'd cram them onto the
brightest windowsills in the house (note: cramming plants into any small
space doesn't look good either). In fact, my wife was getting really upset
with a bunch of S. oreophilla I had on the windowsill over our bed, until
they began blooming. Then they suddenly went from dirty bug filled
plants to beautiful flowers (it helped that her dad made a big fuss over
them when he first saw the flowers - he's a former landscape architect and
obsessively neat gardener with perfect putting green lawns and gardens that
stop traffic). So now she puts up with them, even when they don't look
their best. I'm still expected to try to make them look as nice as
possible. I've moved as many as I dare outside in a bog, but the bog garden
looked kinda scraggly last year with pitchers flopping over under the weight
of so many bugs, and I have the rest under lights in a storage area of the
basement. So anyway, if anyone has any great ideas and suggestions on how
to make the plants look feng shui in the home environment, maybe they can
share them with those of us who aren't bachelors anymore (and no, getting
rid of the wife isn't an option). I don't need to grow them for show, but I
want them to look as good as some of the pictures in "Savage Garden." I
realize that in nature a bog can look kinda messy, but not in my house, so
any thoughts are appreciated. And maybe someday I'll just build a
greenhouse and it'll be that much easier. :-)

John "not so feng shui" Green
Salt Lake City, Utah
john.green@ascensus.com
http://homestead.juno.com/thegreens13