Re: Halogen lamps

From: Joe Martinez (joe@jmmsoftware.com)
Date: Sat Dec 16 2000 - 23:07:21 PST

Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2000 23:07:21 -0800
From: Joe Martinez <joe@jmmsoftware.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Halogen lamps

I'm not an expert on this, but here are my thoughts.

1) A couple problems with halogen. First of all, they generate a HUGE
amount of heat. This would probably be too hot for your plants.
Second, I believe that they are of the wrong spectrum. I'm not sure on
this. My experience comes from the reef aquaria hobby, where halogen
lamps are out for that reason, and I'm guessing that it's likely the
same story for plants.

2) If you terrarium is too small for 2 ft tubes, it's probably not going
to be big enough for Nepenthes for too long. I have a 55-gallon
terrarium, and I know that even in that, the nepenthes will out grow it
eventually.

3) A couple of options for lighting for this small terrarium: For small
fluorescent fixtures and lamps, look at aquarium suppliers. I'm not
sure if they are strong enough, but they have hoods and lamps down to 15
inches long. For mail-order, look at petwhse.com and thatpetplace.com.
Another option would be power compact fluorescents. These give a lot of
light for the size. These can also be found from the aquarium
suppliers, and even your local hardware store.

-Joe