Re: Pinguicula leaf cuttings

From: Phil Wilson (cp@pwilson.demon.co.uk)
Date: Thu Dec 14 2000 - 03:04:58 PST

Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 11:04:58 +0000
From: Phil Wilson <cp@pwilson.demon.co.uk>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Pinguicula leaf cuttings

Miguel,

>I have a number of Pinguicula cuttings that were successful, and have small
>plantlets at the base of the leaf.
>
>Some of these are at the stage where the leaf has almost dissapeared. Most
>seem to have no roots.

Root production in Mexican Pinguicula is pretty sparse even in mature
plants so I wouldn't bother too much about their lack of roots. The
roots almost certainly provide little else but anchorage.

You don't say how the plantlets are doing apart from the lack of roots.
As long as they seem to be growing I would not worry about it too much.

>How does one deal with the plantlets at this stage? Most are in sphagnum,
>which is not the medium I intend to use to grow the adult plants. Some are
>in the adult medium, but seem to be developing no roots either. Will the
>plantlets grow roots naturally as a response to lower atmospheric humidity
>(if I take them out of the crib I used to strike them)?

I would definitely transfer them to a lower humidity environment and put
them all onto adult growing medium.

Regards,
Phil Wilson
Email: cp@pwilson.demon.co.uk