Re: U. subulata

From: Mark Bachelor (Mark.Bachelor@mggsmail.mggs.vic.edu.au)
Date: Tue Nov 21 2000 - 14:00:20 PST

Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 09:00:20 +1100
From: "Mark Bachelor" <Mark.Bachelor@mggsmail.mggs.vic.edu.au>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: U. subulata

When it sends up yellow flowers it is pleasant, but most of the time it
is just a weed that announces it presence with ugly little balls on
sticks (why advertise, when you're self-pollinating). It is highly
invasive but not smothering like some other Utric weeds. Here it is
hard to buy pots of established plants that have not been invaded. If
you have difficulty growing Utrics try this one, hopefully you won't
regret it. Personally, I like the open flowers but not the more common
enclosed ones.

Peter's book calls it a pleasant little weed and
says it's easy to grow from prolific seed, and highly recommends it for bog
gardens.
 I also appreciate that it's
very small (flowers are only 4 inches tall), which is good since my bog
isn't very big. Does anyone have seed they would be willing to send me (I'd
send a SASE) or sell very cheap?

Regards

Mark T. Bachelor Biology Technician Melbourne Girls Grammar School
Voice: +61 (03) 9862 9200 86 Anderson Street Fax: +61 (O3) 9866 5768
South Yarra, 3141 Victoria, Australia

Lab Techs' Branch of STAV, South Yarra Regional Rep.