Re: Live versus dead sphagnum

From: John Brittnacher (jgbritt@mac.com)
Date: Sun Nov 19 2000 - 12:32:08 PST

Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2000 12:32:08 -0800
From: John Brittnacher <jgbritt@mac.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Live versus dead sphagnum

>I have also tried boiling milled, dried sphagnum in order to fend
>off the weeds that sprout often in these commercial brands. It
>seems to me, that it does weaken the medium, as far as how easy
>fungus attacks. The moss itself seems to be often attacked by the
>thin, strand-like thread fungus.

Spraying that fungus with water will usually control it somewhat. I
don't think it can be killed B^) but the best offense is a good
defense in this case. It seems to target the medium.

I have taken to solarizing my seed planting medium. I put damp
sphagnum or chopped sphagnum and sand in a zip lock bag in the sun
for a week or so during the summer. I don't know the temperatures it
gets to but it has worked well for me.

I tried solarizing because I was advised that the worst thing you can
do is boil or autoclave the medium. It cooks the sphagnum and makes
it the source of attack from fungi that are everywhere. Sterilizing
at a temperature more like 185 F / 80 C will kill fungi and other
nasties without cooking the medium. I then keep the seedling pots in
plastic bags or away from other plants for as long as possible. You
could try simmering your sphagnum for half an hour or so and see if
that helps.

I don't bother sterilizing the sphagnum for Sarracenia seed. I just
lightly dust the pot with sulfur after placing the seed. Sarracenia
don't seem to be bothered by the sulfur. I have tried this with
Drosera with mixed results.