Re: Live versus dead sphagnum

From: FOODBAG@aol.com
Date: Thu Nov 16 2000 - 22:15:30 PST

Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 01:15:30 EST
From: FOODBAG@aol.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Live versus dead sphagnum

  Miguel,

  I have also tried boiling milled, dried sphagnum in order to fend off the
weeds that sprout often in these commercial brands. It seems to me, that it
does weaken the medium, as far as how easy fungus attacks. The moss itself
seemsto be often attacked by the thin, strand-like thread fungus. I just
make sure I mist with fungicide upon sowing. I have to keep checking every
couple of days and sometimes I have had the lights on 24 hours a day for the
first couple of days to try and stave fungus.
  Boiling the moss does not change the water retention.
  You might try microwaving the milled moss before you even wet it to kill
any unwanted organisms.
  The LF sphagnum does not have the invasion problems for me that
store-bought milled does, so I am hoping that milling my own from LF with a
food processor, will give me the same germination success, but less problems.
  I hope that helps.

  Regards,

  Joe Griffin
  Lincoln,Nebraska USA