southern pests

From: FOODBAG@aol.com
Date: Sun Nov 05 2000 - 20:21:21 PST

Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2000 23:21:21 EST
From: FOODBAG@aol.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: southern pests

  Hi Everyone,

  Has anyone in the North ordered plants from the South or vice versa and had
a pest explosion appear on these plants only, but the pests are not apparant
on the grower's plants from where they came from? This has happened to me on
several occasions from three different Florida growers, but they have no pest
problem. I know these people and they are not lying when they say that
nothing is happening on their end, and the plants look perfect when they
arrive, but within a few weeks, some sort of pests appear on these plants
only(though they will spread, if allowed). I have seen scale and some small
rod-shaped white infestation. Do the plants weaken from coming from a warm,
Florida greenhouse and then ending up in tanks under growlights? Seems to
hit Sarracenia very hard and also Nepenthes.
  I have Orthene ready in case it ever happens again. I am just curious if
anyone else has ever had this happened, but never noticed a coincidence such
as this. I am not going to start a Spanish Inquisition("Noboby expects the
Spanish Inquisition!") over this, and Florida growers are among the best(from
my expeerience).

  Regards,

  Joe Griffin
  Lincoln, Nebraska