Re: What is D. schizandra?

From: Dave Evans (dpevans@rci.rutgers.edu)
Date: Sun Oct 29 2000 - 20:42:01 PST

Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2000 23:42:01 -0500
From: "Dave Evans" <dpevans@rci.rutgers.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: What is D. schizandra?

Dear Miguel,

> Some points to take into account:
>
> Most forms of this species in horticulture probably arose from a very
> limited number of collections (maybe even one), which would severely limit
> variability.

    I don't know of any forms, just D. schizandra. That's one of my ideas
I'm talking about, there doesn't seem to be any variety. Even the photos in
Allen Lowrie's book look like they could be my same clone. Perhaps other
growers, like Sundew Matt, have heard of other forms?

> Checking the ploidy (chromosome number) of D. schizandra and comparing it
> with D. adelae and D. prolifera might give some insight.

    In Lowrie's CP's of Australia vol. III, he mentions that all species, D.
adelea, D. prolifera and D. schizandra, have 2n= 30, so I guess there isn't
much insight to gain in this area... Also, a hybrid doesn't necessarily
need to double it's chromosomes to be fertile, just those that are not
totally compatible. Maybe the reason I don't see much variety is that all
or at least most of the plants in cultivation are cuttings of the same
clone. I don't know of anyone who has grown this species from seed... I
have had my plant for a couple years, but it's never flowered so I can't
offer any info on the possibly of seed or seed grown plants. Both D.
prolifera and D. adelea flower rather easily. But I have not had a chance
to try and cross them yet because of bad timing.

Dave Evans