re: What is D. schizandra?

From: Ivan Snyder (bioexp@juno.com)
Date: Mon Oct 30 2000 - 09:45:44 PST

Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 09:45:44 -0800
From: Ivan Snyder <bioexp@juno.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: re: What is D. schizandra?

Dave wrote:
>>I think it was Ivan who mentioned that he thought D.
>>schizandra might be a hybrid between D.adelae and D. prolifera.
>>I can sort of see that

Miguel replied:
>Checking the ploidy (chromosome number) of D. schizandra and comparing
it
>with D. adelae and D. prolifera might give some insight.

Hi all,
The chromosome counts for all three species are recorded to be 2n = 30.
If Drosera schizandra is a *fertile* hybrid, then it may be an example of
interspecific fertility as in the D. petiolaris complex. Another thing I
think should first be considered is this: Has anyone ever seen seed from
D. schizandra?
Ivan Snyder
Hermosa Beach
California