Re: Chambers

From: MCATALANI@aol.com
Date: Fri Oct 27 2000 - 07:01:26 PDT

Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 10:01:26 EDT
From: MCATALANI@aol.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Chambers

<< Mike-- How do you seal the panes on your home-made cases? I know some
 silicone-based caulkings create toxic fumes and I have to imagine your
 Wardian cases are sealed somehow. The muffin fan thing I can do easily, I
 work with computers for a living :). >>

I have used both tacks and the velcro with the sticky backing. The velcro
works well because I can open and close the plastic easily. However, the more
of these cases I made, the lazier I became. I have two cases in which the
plstic is just draped over the 2'x4's and tucked in closely to the sides. It
keeps the humidity between 90%-95%. I line the bottom of the cases with poly
plastic, then add in some waterlogged long fiber sphagnum. This keeps the
humidity very high, even though there isn't a very tight seal. I only have to
water the plants eery 2 to 3 weeks.
Michael Catalani