Ping dormancy questions

From: Joe Martinez (joe@jmmsoftware.com)
Date: Mon Oct 23 2000 - 23:08:41 PDT

Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2000 23:08:41 -0700
From: Joe Martinez <joe@jmmsoftware.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Ping dormancy questions

Ok, now that winter's coming, I have a few questions about my
butterworts:

I live in San Jose, CA, BTW.

P. Grandiflora:
It's definitely going dormant. The last carnivorous leaf is turning
brown at the edges, and I can see the resting bud forming in the
center. This one is growing outside in the shade.
Question: Should I start letting it dry out at all, or should I keep it
permanently wet all winter?

P. Moranensis:
Question: How do Mexican butterworts know when it's time to switch to
succulent growth?
The reason that this concerns me is that I have mine in a terrarium,
indoors. It has a consistent 12-hour photoperiod. If they go by a
change in photoperiod, that wouldn't trigger mine obviously. Or, does
it go by temperature, or wetness, or simply by time? Do I need to do
something to make it switch?
Mine is currently still producing carnivorous leaves.
Question: Should I start letting it dry out at some point? If so, do I
take the initiative and "tell" it it's winter by letting it get dryer,
or do I wait for the succulent leaves to start, and THEN do it?

Thanks,
    Joe