Re: water purifier

From: Marianne Perdomo Machin (marianne@castillo.net)
Date: Sun Oct 22 2000 - 05:21:17 PDT

Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2000 13:21:17 +0100
From: Marianne Perdomo Machin <marianne@castillo.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: water purifier

> << Somewhere buried in the list archives I read a note about water filters
> intended for use w/aquariums. I recently found one for about $40. It
> claims to be comparable to RO units, removing all minerals, salts ect from
> tap water. It sounds too good to be true. I just spent far too long
> scanning through the archives trying to find the original message w/ no >>

I know next to nothing about this filters that you mention but there are
fairly inexpensive RO units around. A couple of years ago I had to buy
one from the US and prices started at around 69 UD$. I bought one that
cost about 100US$, neglected it thouroughly and still got a good 2 years
service from it, with only one change of filter (it was more trouble
than it was worth buying more replacements, especialy given the present
low value of the euro. One thing to consider is that, unless, you have
a large collection, you can probably get away from a small (in terms of
product water) unit. Running it regularly if not continually is better
for the membranes than sporadic operation. That in itself could save
you some money. Of course, an important factor is the quality of your
water and that could mean that you need a unit with more filters. If
you want to look for cheaper units, try places that sell aquarium
supplies including www.thatpetplace.com and similar ones.

Hope this helps!

Marianne