water purifier

From: EdwardK674@aol.com
Date: Sat Oct 21 2000 - 14:17:59 PDT

Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2000 17:17:59 EDT
From: EdwardK674@aol.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: water purifier

In a message dated 10/20/2000 10:39:38 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
cp@opus.labs.agilent.com writes:

<< Somewhere buried in the list archives I read a note about water filters
 intended for use w/aquariums. I recently found one for about $40. It
 claims to be comparable to RO units, removing all minerals, salts ect from
 tap water. It sounds too good to be true. I just spent far too long
 scanning through the archives trying to find the original message w/ no >>

Are you refering to a tap water purifier? If so they do produce comparable
quality water as an RO unit however they are more expensive in the long run
as the cartidges need to be replaced as they become saturated.
You can now buy RO units that process a large amount of water per day (65
gallons and up) starting around $200 if you shop around. The waste water can
be used to water other plants that are not as sensitive to salt buildup (such
as outdoor plants).
I would recommend a TFC membrane if you are going to purchase a RO unit.
These membranes work better at removing the salts in the water than the CTA
membranes.My two cents,
Ed