Re: VFT Flower plantlets

From: MCATALANI@aol.com
Date: Thu Oct 19 2000 - 14:06:35 PDT

Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 17:06:35 EDT
From: MCATALANI@aol.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: VFT Flower plantlets

Every year several of my vft's will produce plantlets on the flower stalk,
usually at the location of a bract. This can be accomplished by warm days,
and very cool night temperatures. CPN Vol 29 No1 (March 2000) shows a plant
from Doug Atlas which flowered, produced a plantlet on the flower, and then
the plantlet itself flowered, all while connected to the orignal plant and
flower.This year one of my "unscientific" scientific experiments was to grow
several vft cultivars in deep and very wet soil. They were grown in a
greenhouse, and did not experience the sharp differences in night and day
temperature. One of the plants produced a plantlet on the flower, but its
location was at the top of the stalk where a flower ovary should have been.
About a dozen flowers were produced, but one of them produced a plantlet
instead of the flower. The flooded condition may have caused tihs, as most of
the plant has been growing under water since spring.
Michael Catalani