Drosera hybrids & Australian list

From: Miguel de Salas (mm_de@postoffice.utas.edu.au)
Date: Wed Oct 18 2000 - 21:29:08 PDT

Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 15:29:08 +1100
From: Miguel de Salas <mm_de@postoffice.utas.edu.au>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Drosera hybrids & Australian list

While the talk on Drosera hybrids is up, has anyone hybridised Drosera
peltata and D. auriculata?
They were first considered separate species, then they were lumped together
as subspecies, and now they are considered separate species as well.

I encountered a mixed population of both species near Hobart, Tasmania, and
both species are quite easy to tell apart when seen together.
However, a couple of individuals had intermediate characters between the
two species, which leads me to ask what the hybrids look like. These had
fimbriate sepals, intermediate between the glabrous D. auriculata and
pubescent D. peltata.
General size and colour was also intermediate between the two.

As I understand, D auriculata x D. peltata is infertile, but these
seemingly intermediate plants had plenty of seedpods forming with seed inside.

---

Just a reminder that the Australian CP list has been up and running since june, with some lively discussion at times. If you're interested in Australian CP, join by sending a blank email to

aus-cps-subscribe@egroups.com

Cheers!

Miguel de Salas mailto:mm_de@postoffice.utas.edu.au

School of Plant Science, University of Tasmania, GPO Box 252-55, Hobart, Tasmania, Australia, 7001.