Re: Spiders taking up residence in Sarracenia pitchers!

From: Bryan and Leslie Lorber (bllorber@wcvt.com)
Date: Sun Sep 03 2000 - 20:23:29 PDT

Date: Sun, 03 Sep 2000 23:23:29 -0400
From: Bryan and Leslie Lorber <bllorber@wcvt.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Spiders taking up residence in Sarracenia pitchers!

I have spiders living in and between my S.purp and S.flava at various
times throughout the growing season. I consider my self quite fortunate
to have this lovely little ecosystem evolving on my upstairs deck.
Clearly, the spiders are there due to the bugs and the bugs are there
due to the plants. If one takes the time to sit by and watch the show
it's a definite Oscar winner with all that life and death drama :-)!
One interesting thing I have noticed is that the spiders do quite well
for a while but ultimately become victims themselves falling to their
death in the darkness below. Bryan Charlotte, Vermont U.S.A Zone 4