Re: Spiders taking up residence in Sarracenia pitchers!

From: Philip Semanchuk (mrbones@mindspring.com)
Date: Mon Sep 04 2000 - 15:07:26 PDT

Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2000 18:07:26 -0400
From: "Philip Semanchuk" <mrbones@mindspring.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Spiders taking up residence in Sarracenia pitchers!

>1) a spider taking up residence in my newly opened S. Leucophylla pitcher.
>2) a bigger spider moved into one of the pitchers in my S. Purpurea venosa.
>3) another smaller jumping spider built a web overing in another pitcher of
>Is this common? What do you do to discourage this?

Hi David,
I've seen this both in the field and in cultivation. I don't do anything to
discourage it. (Maybe tiny "no trespassing" signs would work?) Obviously the
plant is not getting the food that the spider eats, but somehow I don't feel
it makes a great deal of difference.

My 2 cents,
Philip
URL du jour: http://www.votenader.com/