Re: TC Heliamphora, Nepenthes....

From: Phil Wilson (cp@pwilson.demon.co.uk)
Date: Mon Sep 04 2000 - 05:48:41 PDT

Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2000 13:48:41 +0100
From: Phil Wilson <cp@pwilson.demon.co.uk>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: TC Heliamphora, Nepenthes....

Hi,

> I have several plants (about fifty of each)'in-vitro' and I would
>like some advice/instructions or tips on how exactly to transfer them to
>soil. also what would be good soil for the small plants(5-8cm/2"-4").
>Would plain sphagnum suffice(except for th pings)? The plants I have are:

For weaning most carnivorous plants I simply plant them into a standard
peat/perlite mixture, then cover them with a layer of bubble plastic or
similar. Make sure the plastic is held clear of the plants. The bubble
plastic reduces transpiration to a minimum and also shields the plants
from extremes of light and temperature. After about 3 weeks start to
gradually increase the amount of air to the plants, first by making a
few holes into the plastic, then gradually (over a few weeks) gradually
remove the plastic.

This works well with tougher leafed plants such as Dionaea, Sarracenia
and Nepenthes. Plants with naturally fleshy leaves such as Pinguicula
may be more difficult to wean.

Regards,
Phil Wilson
Email: cp@pwilson.demon.co.uk