Sarracenia flowering

From: JWi5770869@aol.com
Date: Wed Aug 30 2000 - 11:45:02 PDT

Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 14:45:02 EDT
From: JWi5770869@aol.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Sarracenia flowering

cp@opus.labs.agilent.com writes:

> John Wilden wrote:
> > One of this years Sarracenia purchases (from Mike King----Hi Mike!!), a
> > Sarr Purpurea Purpurea has put up a number of flower stalks within the
> > last month. I cut these off as they will not open, let alone,set any
seed.
> > Better to wait for next Spring, when they should open properly and set
> > seed.
>
> I can understand that they won't successfully set seed in the autumn, but
> why won't they open? Is it too cold in September? My Sarracenia purpurea
> venosa regularly flowers in late summer as well as in the spring. The
> summer/autumn flowers are just as beautiful as the spring flowers, and it
> doesn't seem to harm the plant.
>
> Sarracenia flava is in bud now, too.
>
> cheers,
> Nick
> (Durham, North Carolina, U.S.A.)
> -----------------------------
Nick and Phil W,

Yes I was writing from the perspective that as the flowers don't set seed and
don't display their full glory then its better to get rid of them and get the
plant to save its 'resources' for the following Spring. I forget that the
flowers are enjoyable in their own right as well <grin>.

One of the interesting things that Phil Wilson came up with was the
observation that wild Sarras can also flower in the autumn.
Why would they do this? Do they set seed in the wild at this time? What
advantage does the plant gain by doing this (and please don't suggest that
they do it because they want to!!!!! :)
All the best,

John Wilden
Southport