Re: Sarracenia flowering

From: Nicholas Plummer (nplummer@duke.edu)
Date: Tue Aug 29 2000 - 05:11:41 PDT

Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 08:11:41 -0400 (EDT)
From: Nicholas Plummer <nplummer@duke.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Sarracenia flowering

John Wilden wrote:
> One of this years Sarracenia purchases (from Mike King----Hi Mike!!), a
> Sarr Purpurea Purpurea has put up a number of flower stalks within the
> last month. I cut these off as they will not open, let alone,set any seed.
> Better to wait for next Spring, when they should open properly and set
> seed.

I can understand that they won't successfully set seed in the autumn, but
why won't they open? Is it too cold in September? My Sarracenia purpurea
venosa regularly flowers in late summer as well as in the spring. The
summer/autumn flowers are just as beautiful as the spring flowers, and it
doesn't seem to harm the plant.

Sarracenia flava is in bud now, too.

cheers,
      Nick