Re: More web updates!

From: Phil Sheridan (meadowview@pitcherplant.org)
Date: Fri Aug 29 1980 - 14:29:09 PDT

Date: Fri, 29 Aug 1980 14:29:09 -0700
From: Phil Sheridan <meadowview@pitcherplant.org>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: More web updates!

Hi Folks:

We have more web updates at our site at www.pitcherplant.org. We have
recently posted a section on seed propagation on our PROPAGATION page.
Please visit this section as we are now featuring some significant
advances in Sarracenia seed propagation. In brief, prior to our work you
had to go through the awkward process of Sarracenia stratification by
placing the seeds on wet paper towels in the refrigerator or putting
whole pots on soil in the refrigerator. What we have developed is a
process whereby you can accomplish stratification, sowing, and a
germination place for the seed all in one step. We have tents that you
can put over the seed pots and the whole assembly is then put outside in
mid-winter. The seeds stratify naturally but seed loss is prevented by
the tents which allow only a light mist to penetrate. When the seeds
germinate they are then prevented from damage by strong storms. We have
been using this technique now for several years with excellent results
and are now able to do efficient large scale, propagation of a variety
of Sarracenia crosses without concerns about cross contamination of pots
by foreign seed or loss of seed or seedlings. I think you will find this
technique very useful and I hope you benefit from the knowledge.

Sincerely,

Phil Sheridan
Director
Meadowview Biological