Re: Drosera Hybrids --Tubers

From: Phil Wilson (cp@pwilson.demon.co.uk)
Date: Fri Aug 18 2000 - 11:14:12 PDT

Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 19:14:12 +0100
From: Phil Wilson <cp@pwilson.demon.co.uk>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Drosera Hybrids --Tubers

In message <20000818.085451.-119687.0.bioexp@juno.com>, Ivan Snyder
<bioexp@juno.com> writes
>>Have you tried crossing Drosera species such as erythrorhiza (I
>>believe they have only stalked glands?) with species with both
>>stalked and sessile glands. If so what was the gland outcome?
>>Hey the climbing species could be fun to mess with! Actually the
>>crazy possibilities seem limitless.
>>Richard.
>
>Hi Richard,
>The only tuberous species I have grown are D. peltata and D. auriculata.
>These crossed. A problem with the rosetted tubers is that the seed takes
>to long to sprout and the plants take years to reach maturity. Although I
>may be the Guru of sundew hybridization, I am still as yet merely a
>mortal being. I will leave the tubers to someone else. I agree that some
>interesting results might be had. I suggest crossing the easier growing
>D. peltata with a rosetted tuber. Good luck, and let us all know what
>happens.

I have tried several crossings with tuberous Drosera species.
Theoretically at least its easier than using parents such as D. capensis
since the vast majority of tuberous Drosera species appear to be self
sterile, so the mother plant does not need to be emasculated.

The only crossing that I have successfully made is D. whittakeri x D.
stolonifera ssp rupicola. I have used two clones of D. stolonifera ssp
rupicola. Each time apparently viable seed was produced, which
subsequently germinated. The seedlings though were all extremely weak
and none survived more than a few months. Just to make sure I made the
crossing several times over a few years but the results were always the
same.

One problem crossing tuberous species is the different flowering periods
of different species. Many of the rosetted species are flowering at the
start of the season whereas the upright growers are flowering at the
opposite end of the season. Also, with only one or two exceptions the
flowers are only open for a couple of hours. Catching flowers of more
than one species open together is quite an event!

Still, at least this lack of opportunity for chance hybridisations means
that some of the more horrific crosses are unlikely. Can you imagine
what D. capensis x D. gigantea would be like? A weed that grows the size
of a small shrub - it brings me out in shivers...

Regards,
Phil Wilson
Email: cp@pwilson.demon.co.uk