re: Drosera Hybrids --Tubers

From: Ivan Snyder (bioexp@juno.com)
Date: Thu Aug 17 2000 - 09:38:44 PDT

Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 09:38:44 -0700
From: Ivan Snyder <bioexp@juno.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: re: Drosera Hybrids --Tubers

>Have you tried crossing Drosera species such as erythrorhiza (I
>believe they have only stalked glands?) with species with both
>stalked and sessile glands. If so what was the gland outcome?
>Hey the climbing species could be fun to mess with! Actually the
>crazy possibilities seem limitless.
>Richard.

Hi Richard,
The only tuberous species I have grown are D. peltata and D. auriculata.
These crossed. A problem with the rosetted tubers is that the seed takes
to long to sprout and the plants take years to reach maturity. Although I
may be the Guru of sundew hybridization, I am still as yet merely a
mortal being. I will leave the tubers to someone else. I agree that some
interesting results might be had. I suggest crossing the easier growing
D. peltata with a rosetted tuber. Good luck, and let us all know what
happens.

Ivan Snyder
Hermosa Beach
California