identification of 3 sarracenia

From: Barry Meyers-Rice (bamrice@ucdavis.edu)
Date: Fri Aug 18 2000 - 08:39:26 PDT

Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 08:39:26 -0700 (PDT)
From: Barry Meyers-Rice <bamrice@ucdavis.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: identification of 3 sarracenia

http://www.djelkmann.de/pic/sarracenia_leucophylla.jpg
http://www.djelkmann.de/pic/sarracenia.jpg
http://www.djelkmann.de/pic/sarracenia2.jpg

Hi Daniel,

I agree with the other folks on this list that #2, #3 are probably
S. purpurea x minor and S. purpurea x leucophylla clones.

As for the first photo, I don't quite think it is a pure
S. leucophylla. The tube is a little narrow, the fenestrations are a bit
few, and the red is a bit intense. Maybe some S. rubra has gotten in
there.

When doing forensic botany on Sarracenia hybrids, flowers should be
checked too. Flower color (inner *and* outer surface of leaf) should be
examined, as well as flower size and petal shape.

Cheers

Barry

Dr. Barry A. Meyers-Rice
Carnivorous Plant Newsletter