re: U. inflata as a Weed in CA / Location

From: Ivan Snyder (bioexp@juno.com)
Date: Sun Aug 06 2000 - 09:23:57 PDT

Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2000 09:23:57 -0700
From: Ivan Snyder <bioexp@juno.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: re: U. inflata as a Weed in CA / Location

>Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2000 08:52:10 -0700 (PDT)
>From: Barry Meyers-Rice <bamrice@ucdavis.edu>
>And there is a siting of U. inflata in California, too.

Hi all,
I have visited the site of Utricularia inflata in California. Here is how
to get there. If you are in Fresno on Highway 99, exit on Bellmont and go
about one block east. Turn left into Roellins Park, pay one dollar
admission at the booth and turn right immedialely. To your right you will
see some ponds. Try to park in the shade of a big ucalyptus tree (it's
very hot). There are three concrete ponds, the largest middle pond is
full of U. inflata amongst the waterlilies. I noticed that the far right
or west pond had none, probably because there are carp in there eating
the plants. There are no boats in these ponds. Around on the other side
of the park across from the bird zoo is another small lake for boats with
no utrics.

I think it most likely that U. inflata was transported here by primates
along with the waterlilies from Florida. The plant has been known to be
here for many years. I saw it last in middle June of this year. There may
also be U. macrorhiza in the pond (sorry, I did not examine all the
plants closely). If so, this was probably brought in by birds, carried
from the local mountains to the east where the species is native.

Ivan Snyder
Hermosa Beach
California