re:Darlingtonia media

From: Sylvia De Rooy (red1@humboldt1.com)
Date: Sun Aug 06 2000 - 08:59:41 PDT

Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2000 08:59:41 -0700
From: Sylvia De Rooy <red1@humboldt1.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: re:Darlingtonia media

I live just a little south of the lower edge of Darlingtonia habitat and
have an outdoor bog. I have two Darlingtonias in the bog that are
threatening to take over. The media in the bog is peat, builders sand and
perlite with a topping of sphagnum. It's pretty dense. I am very chintzy w/
summer water, they get a splash of not necessarily cold water every 2 or 3
days.I am at the coast where we have fairly cool summers with morning and
evening fog often here.The water is collected rain water. In a few weeks I
will have to go to Brita filtered water till the winter rains start.I have
seen Darlingtonias in dense clay (we call it "blue goo" here) that likely
is influenced by serpentine rock. I have also, on the other hand, seen it
growing on cliff faces(serpentine rock), hanging on by the skin of their
teeth, so to speak. The Darlingtonia near the Smith River is definitely in
serpentine territory.Those of you who have been there may recall the
beautiful blue/green color of the Smith from the serpentine rock.In any
case, it is not my experience that Darlingtonia need particularly light or
airy soil.