U. inflata as weed and mosquitoes

From: Barry Meyers-Rice (bamrice@ucdavis.edu)
Date: Sat Aug 05 2000 - 09:42:31 PDT

Date: Sat, 5 Aug 2000 09:42:31 -0700 (PDT)
From: Barry Meyers-Rice <bamrice@ucdavis.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: U. inflata as weed and mosquitoes

Hey Kit, Michael,

Kit, I don't recall why the Utricularia was not successful. But in any
event, I don't think it will be very useful for you in killing
mosquitoes. Why? Because I am growing Aldrovanda here in California in a
240 liter (60 gallon) tank, and as companion plants I am growing
U. inflata, U. gibba, and U. floridana; these plants are growing like mad,
and even so mosquitoes thrive in the tank and survive to maturity.

Rather, they *would* thrive, but every now and then a little tiny bit of
Bt is added to the tank, and this kills the mosquito larvae extremely
quickly. The Utricularia and Aldrovanda do not mind.

Michael, thanks for the reminder of U. radiata in the Great Lakes area. I
actually have never seen this plant in the field. Every time I thought I
did, a quick check of the leaf branching revealed it was just dwarfed
U. inflata. :( But in any event, a few records of this plant in the Great
Lakes is not what I'd consider enough to argue that it is likely the
plants made it to Washington, as I outlined in my other mail.

>Sorry to take this off on a tangent, and i don't have the reference,
>but I'm about to try this on a small scale in New York. What with the
>West Nile virus & all, it seems like a good idea (and a good excuse
>to get another cp). Any idea why it didn't work?

Later!

Barry

Dr. Barry A. Meyers-Rice
Carnivorous Plant Newsletter