TO: John Green

From: michael pagoulatos (michaelpagoulatos@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Jul 31 2000 - 07:02:49 PDT

Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 07:02:49 -0700 (PDT)
From: michael pagoulatos <michaelpagoulatos@yahoo.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: TO: John Green

>Regarding your S. flava barely making it, you are
correct: the culprit is the intense temperatures of
this year. When the temperatures drop in late
summer/fall, your plants should recover and produce
new pitchers; I go through this almost every summer
here in Texas; my flavas always come back.

You write: "...and will have to use the hose (tds
probably around 300ppm).".

>Well, your water should have fewer than 150 ppm. In
addition, your municipal water propably contains
chlorine which is deadly to CPs (the content varies
with municipalities - check). If you let the tap
water stand for a couple of days, the chlorine goes
away. Consider an RO filter from Kent Marine (make
your own pure water).

You write "My question is:would it be better to dig
the plant up and bring it inside? ...".

> If the plant was 'impossible to replace' I would not
take the risk of it not recovering.

You write "...I've already lost a rubra, minor, and
alata, (probably due more to late transplanting than
the heat) ...".

> These plants may only be in shock (due to late
bare-roots transplanting). I would leave them alone
because they may recover later in the season or even
next Spring.

Take care,
Michael PAgoulatos

http://invites.yahoo.com/