Re: VFT Dying

From: Susan Farrington (sfarrington@ridgway.mobot.org)
Date: Mon Jul 31 2000 - 06:38:27 PDT

Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 08:38:27 -0500
From: "Susan Farrington" <sfarrington@ridgway.mobot.org>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: VFT Dying

Jim,
I suspect that your VFTs are rotting... they like a higher place in the
bog that is better drained. Though they like to always be MOIST,
they do not like to be constantly water logged (the pitcher plants and
sundews like it far wetter than VFTs). So try mounding up an area in
the highest portion of your bog, and move them up to it. I suspect the
VFT that is doing the worst is the one that is the lowest and wettest.
Check it out!
Susan

> I have an outdoor bog with several Pither plants and sundews. I have
> three nice VFTs that have been doing well. The medium is 1/2 peat and
> 1/2 sand. > All the plants have done well this summer. I am in
> Alabama, lots of
> heat > and high humidity. I have kept the bog well watered with
> rainwater.
> Recently all of the traps on one of the plants have begun to turn
> brown/black along the edges. Now almost all are dead (the traps) on
> one plant. The other 2 plants very close by seem ok. Can anyone tell
> me what is going on? Thanks, Jim

Susan Farrington
Missouri Botanical Garden
P.O. Box 299