Re: Fantasy Plants...

From: Phil Wilson (cp@pwilson.demon.co.uk)
Date: Sat Jul 22 2000 - 10:29:26 PDT

Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2000 18:29:26 +0100
From: Phil Wilson <cp@pwilson.demon.co.uk>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Fantasy Plants...

Kit,

>I want a few more plants. The problem with the plants I want is that
>they probably don't exist, but I'll never know if I don't ask so
>here's what I'm looking for:

I'll try my best. :-)

>1. A temperate, aquatic Utric with the following characteristics:
>
>Has traps big enough to eat mosquito larvae.
>
>Doesn't mind either being frozen solid or kept in the dark during the Winter.
>
>Can live in 10-gallon trash can with water levels generally between
>3-7 gallons, occasionally going to the top, or in a 5-gallon
>punchbowl.

U. Vulgaris sounds ideal. It has large traps, needs plenty of water
depth and will take any degree of cold. During the winter months the
plants form hibernacula (tight buds of leaves) that sink to the bottom
of the container for the winter.

>2. A temperate Ping that can take hot Summers & cold Winters (USDA
>Zone 7, Brooklyn, NY) and can take shipment while growing. I'll
>probably get, umm, the one Andrew Marshall mentioned to me in the
>email that's on my work computer, but I'd get a different one now as
>well if I could.

Probably something like P. vulgaris or P. grandiflora. The cold winters
will not be a problem, though the hot summers might. Another possibility
is P. vallisnerifolia. All these plants should be grown in semi-shade
during the spring summer months. During the winter they will form a
hibernacula.

>3. *ANYTHING* easy & temperate that can eat palmetto bugs, preferably
>something that can take low light as well. I don't know why there are
>suddenly palmetto bugs running around here: I'm in #$%^&*@ Brooklyn,
>a thousand miles from the nearest palmetto, but I was born in Florida
>& I know a palmetto bug when I see it.

What's a palmetto bug - I'm from the UK where we do not get these!

Regards,
Phil Wilson
Email: cp@pwilson.demon.co.uk