RE: Starving Flytraps

From: John Green (john.green@ascensus.com)
Date: Wed Jul 26 2000 - 07:15:13 PDT

Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 08:15:13 -0600
From: John Green <john.green@ascensus.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: RE: Starving Flytraps

BEN, NH asked:

>Every internet site I've seen says that flytraps will catch their own
>food if given the chance. For a while I had them on a three foot tall
>plastic table in the middle of my back yard and nothing happened,
>so I moved the whole table near some sunflowers hoping that some
>of the pollinating bugs would be attracted to the traps, but no
>such luck. Does anyone have any advice on the matter?

I'd recommend getting them down closer to the ground. My VFTs catch mostly
crawling bugs rather than flying ones, typically daddy-long-legs, spiders,
earwigs, beetles, and even slugs and small snails, along with the occasional
fly or ladybug. Getting your plants right in the garden will help, too.
Last year I grew mine outdoors on a small wooden bench made of scrap 2x4s
that I placed over some flowers and they caught tons of insects. They were
also in long pots with lots of other CPs, which helps to attract bugs, too.
But I wouldn't worry too much about the plants starving. As long as they
get plenty of sunshine and a few bugs they'll be fine. Just be patient and
enjoy the plant without dead insect carcasses.

John Green
Salt Lake City, Utah