Re: Ben Wiley and flytraps

From: bruce dudley (bddudley@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Jul 26 2000 - 04:43:58 PDT

Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 04:43:58 -0700 (PDT)
From: bruce dudley <bddudley@yahoo.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Ben Wiley and flytraps

Hi Ben,

You will be more successful at feeding your flytraps
if you move them closer to the ground. The plants
have been mis-named all the years, you see, since
flying bugs are a smaller portion of their diets than
crawling bugs. I see almost exclusively spiders,
beetles, and ants as meals for my flytraps. Keeping
the plants on a 3-foot high table is actually taking
them above their prey. Move them to the ground and
you'll see more action. Hope this helps

Bruce In response to:

> Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 17:11:22 EDT
> From: "B Wiley" <b_wiley@hotmail.com>
> To: cp@opus.labs.agilent.com
> Subject: Starving Flytraps

Thank you to everyone who responded to my questions
concerning Nepenthes. I have a new question regarding
four Dionea plants I have growing in a pie tin
filled with distilled water outside. Every internet
site I've seen says that flytraps will catch their own
food if given the chance. For a while I had them on a
three foot tall plastic table in the middle of my back
yard and nothing happened, so I moved the whole table
near some sunflowers hoping that some of the
pollinating bugs would be attracted to the traps, but
no such luck. Does anyone have any advice on the
matter?

> BEN, NH

Get Yahoo! Mail -- Free email you can access from anywhere!