Re: Feeding Sars and just what do mosquitos eat ?

From: Michael Hunt (stovehouse@earthlink.net)
Date: Tue Jul 25 2000 - 07:42:53 PDT

Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 10:42:53 -0400
From: "Michael Hunt" <stovehouse@earthlink.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Feeding Sars and just what do mosquitos eat ?

Hello all,
I am the constant victim of vicious mosquito attacks. Combine mosquito with
these nasty little bugs called No-see-um's and you become very uncomfortable
and bug bitten all over. Any standing water and the eggs which are laid on
the side of containers a waiting for wet conditions hatch. Many mosquito's
are caught by both Dorsera and Pinguicula, but the amount is like a eye
dropper of water to put out a 3rd alarm fire.
What I notice is that mosquito's do attack plants. They seem to feed on the
tendrils of Nepenthes. After one lands on the leaf or tendril you can
notice a drop of honey dew when they fly away, such as they pierced the
plant and sucked on the plant. It looks much the way of aphid damage. But
they are mosquito's I watch this on as a daily occurrence. It's the female
not the male that feeds on blood, that I know. I don't have the knowledge to
know what kind of food adult mosquito's require, but plants have to be part
of their diet.
Regards,
~ Mike
----- Original