Re: U. subulata stem mucilage

From: Laurent Legendre (laurent.legendre@univ-reims.fr)
Date: Mon Jul 24 2000 - 09:54:22 PDT

Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 17:54:22 +0100
From: Laurent Legendre <laurent.legendre@univ-reims.fr>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: U. subulata stem mucilage

Hi Richard,

I have also seen these droplets of mucilage form at the base of each flower
bract. They do catch insects but I've never taken time to look at whether
they are part of a carnivorous plan or not.

Your hypothesis of a protection from crawling insects is interesting
considering that these drops remain even after the flowers have vanished
away. Personaly, I have only seen flying insects (fruit flies) being
caught. I have pictures of this if you're interested. But this plant is
obviously not a native from France and whatever insect it may want to
protect itself from may not exist here also. Something to be followed I
guess.

See you soon,

Laurent Legendre