Re: S. leuco "Tarnok", housing neps, and fungicides

From: John Green (john.green@ascensus.com)
Date: Mon Jul 24 2000 - 07:44:12 PDT

Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 08:44:12 -0600
From: John Green <john.green@ascensus.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: S. leuco "Tarnok", housing neps, and fungicides

Thanks to Carl Mazur and Madeline Groves for the info on S. leuco "Tarnok."
I contacted the Atlanta Botanical Garden and they have it for sale. If
anyone else is interested they sell them for $15 for a plant with about 10
inch pitchers. And it sounds like they have plenty because if you buy them
in quantities of 10 or more the price drops to $10 each. I can't wait to
receive mine this fall!

Also, B Wiley asked about housing neps in NH (New Hampshire?). I got a tip
from Jay Letchman to cover the plant with a large plastic bag with a wire
coat hanger bent over the plant to support the bag. It's not pretty but it
works. My plant hadn't produced a single pitcher till I did that and now
it's outgrowing the bag.

As for fungicides I've used Captan on all my plants (Sarrs, VFTs, Pings, and
Drosera, including pygmies) without any ill effects. I use it sparingly and
try not to get it on the plants as much as possible, but it does the job
without harming the plants.

And finally, Peter wrote: S. x mardi gras was called "sultry maid" but
religious folks complained and the name was changed.

I don't get it. I'm religious and I was never offended by the name (in
"Savage Garden"). Maybe if I'd caught the (in)famous banquet speech at the
Conference? ;-)

Good growing.

John Green
Salt Lake City, Utah