Re: CP Jungle

From: MCATALANI@aol.com
Date: Sat Jul 22 2000 - 16:40:16 PDT

Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2000 19:40:16 EDT
From: MCATALANI@aol.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: CP Jungle

In a message dated 7/22/00 4:03:14 AM Central Daylight Time,
cp@opus.labs.agilent.com writes:

<< Although I've never done business with Michael Catalani and the CP
 Jungle, I do wish to offer my sympathy with their recent loss of plants
 due to an error that caused thousands of their personal favorites to
 die. Hang in there Mike and the best of luck in getting back on your
 feet!

 Kevin
 San Francisco >>

Thank You Kevin,
I can tell you that there are some really great people out there. There have
been some fellow cp'ers who have volunteered cuttings from their own
collection, which I greatly appreciate. While many species are readily
available on the market, it will be an enormous challenge to replace all of
the varieties and localities of some of the species I had. Some of my large
highland plants I lost such as edwardsiana and burbidgeae will take years to
grow back to the sizes I had only weeks ago. My friends donating from their
own collections have certainly made this ordeal easier to get through, and I
wish to thank all of them.

The disaster occured due to myself accidentally disabling the cooling system
during one of our hottest days this year here in Memphis. Although the
cooling system was manually disabled, the computer system itself was fully
functional and tracked the temperature and humidity. Temperatures were in
excess of 100 degrees farenheit for most of the day, peaking at 125-126 for
more than an hour, with the relative humidity in the teens. While it was no
surprise that plants such as burbidgeae, edwardsiana, ephippiata, and hamata
died, it is surprising that rajah and H. heterodoxa survived with NO ill
effects, not even leaf burn. While many of the lowlands that were in the
house were greatly stressed, truncata doesn't seem to know that anything out
of the ordinary happened. This is not surprising to me, as I can grow
truncatas in a temperature range of 34-100 farenheit. D. muscipula and
Drosera indica seem to have grown faster in the immense heat.

I do appreciate the concern that people have expressed to me through the
emails and phone calls, and am busy contacting them now to express my sincere
gratitude.

Michael Catalani
The CP Jungle