Re: New seedlings

From: Phil Wilson (cp@pwilson.demon.co.uk)
Date: Sat Jul 22 2000 - 09:48:16 PDT

Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2000 17:48:16 +0100
From: Phil Wilson <cp@pwilson.demon.co.uk>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: New seedlings

Mike,
>.
>
>I have many very small primarily Drosera seedlings ( only about 2 - 3 mm in
>dia.) that have sprouted from some seed that I obtained and sowed. The
>problem is separating them so they can grow under optimal conditions. The
>root system is so small and tiny that there is no effective way to separate
>and plant the individuals. If I layer them on a peat surface, and then
>mist heavily, I wash them all over the place. If I mist lightly, they just
>stay on the surface, don't root and soon dry out. If I try and soak in a
>pan of water and bring the liquid up to the surface of the pot, I still
>find that they aren't rooted and soon dry out.

I always wait until the seedlings are larger before repotting them on.
Leaving them in their crowded state while small doesn't seem to harm
them in any way, though if very crowded the growth rate is probably
slower than if they had more space.

If you are really concerned about overcrowding you could always try
sowing them a bit thinner. An old gardening trick is to mix fine seed
with very fine silver sand. Just enough to thin the seed out.

Regards,
Phil Wilson
Email: cp@pwilson.demon.co.uk