Re: Liverworts

From: Biodan@aol.com
Date: Thu Jul 20 2000 - 16:10:04 PDT

Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2000 19:10:04 EDT
From: Biodan@aol.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Liverworts

Mike (et al)
       Yes, those are indeed liverworts, probably Marchantia sp. The asexual
gemmae cups are kind of interesting. Inside of each small plantlets develop
which are naturally dislodged by splashing drops of water (rain, waterfall
splash, etc.). Liverworts ('wort' is an old English term meaning 'herb', and
'liver' refers to the shape of many species) are classified with the true
mosses (including Sphagnum spp.), and as such lack true roots, stems or
leaves. The 'roots' are actually rhizoids and only serve to anchor the
leaf-like thallus, or main plant body. In nature, these plants are important
pioneer species and are major players in the breakdown of rock and organic
debris into soil.
       Now, to you and others that seem to lament the presence of such
organisms, allow me to make a suggestion. If you have 'invaders' that you
don't want, don't destroy them! Instead, donate them to a local school. Live
rworts, and most other organisms, are studied to some extent from middle
grades through the university level. I don't know of any teacher that would
not be very grateful for the donation of specimens for which they may
otherwise have to spend megabucks that could be spent in other means.

Dan