Re: Wacky VFT

From: Brett Lymn (blymn@baesystems.com.au)
Date: Wed Jul 19 2000 - 17:56:47 PDT

Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2000 10:26:47 +0930 (CST)
From: blymn@baesystems.com.au (Brett Lymn)
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Wacky VFT

According to Doug Burdic:

>As for the 'strange plant'..Sounds like a Liverwort to me,
>which, while unique and beautiful on its' own, can become
>a virulent weed problem which will overgrow almost anything
>in its' path if not kept in check,

Arrrggggh Liverwort - the bane of my life. Kill it now, kill it
quick. I made the same mistake in thinking it was nice and before I
knew it liverwort was choking the life out of my CP's. A combination
of aggressive repotting, making sure to get rid of the old media and
covering any small spots of liverwort (I just get a lump of peat and
cover the liverwort up - it dies.... eventually) has just about
eliminated it from my collection but it has taken me about 10 years to
do so. The thing has a distributed root system which makes it hard to
uproot without taking up great lumps of media up with it, makes it
just about immune to roundup (yes, the weed killer) unless you coat
the entire leaf surface. Watch out if it has little cup like
structures on the leaf, these are the flowers and later seed
"capsules" - the seeds are distributed by water splashing into the
"cup" as a distribution mechanism it is amazingly effective.

Just in case you missed the message "don't do liverwort - it hurts too
much" ;-)