Utricularia jerky

From: Joseph Kinyon (corusc8@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon Jul 17 2000 - 21:01:36 PDT

Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2000 04:01:36 GMT
From: "Joseph Kinyon" <corusc8@hotmail.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Utricularia jerky

Rich,

I think your description of bird transfer is pretty together. The evolution
of landscapes is unfortunately scanty with regards to bird and utricularia
fossils as supporting evidence. At best, we can prove it is possible
through the careful analysis of coot poop, and offer it as a verifiable
model. However, the research isn't coming any time soon to coincide bird
species diversity with spatial analysis of the distribution of aldrovonda.
The baseline data is no where close to anything but ancecdotes on a
listserve.

You wrote: "Also I remember Darwin did a small experiment with sea water and
found that for long periods? Utricularia seed survived? Can some one add to
this?"

Depends what you mean by add, I may be able to pile it higher and deeper at
no charge. Sounds like he was hallucinatin' on the Beagle.

Tell me more about this memory of yours and I'll jump ahead a chapter in
Darwin's book on Insectivorous Plants and get back to you.

I'll be happy to try out some of those "abuse your gibba" experiments. I'll
desicate some, but give me the protocol so you can compare my results with
yours. Maybe I should deep fry a few and lay to rest the theory they spread
from donut shop to donut shop. They definitely don't survive my neighbor's
dog lapping them up out of my collection.

Until then I'm hybridizing my french-tickler-with-ribs nepenthes for fun and
profit. ;)

Joseph Kinyon
Marin Headlands