Aldrovanda growth rates

From: Barry Meyers-Rice (bamrice@ucdavis.edu)
Date: Thu Jul 06 2000 - 08:56:35 PDT

Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2000 08:56:35 -0700 (PDT)
From: Barry Meyers-Rice <bamrice@ucdavis.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Aldrovanda growth rates

Hey Folks,

I've been growing a few different clones of Aldrovanda. One of them (from
south of Sydney) grew and multiplied very rapidly until recently. Now,
while the plants look healthy and happy and continue to grow, they are not
producing side branches. This change in growth pattern happened to occur
at the same time that the number of plants in my growing tank increased
until the surface area of the tank is mostly filled with Aldrovanda.

I wonder....is it a coincidence my plants have stopped multiplying right
when they've filled their available growth area, or is Aldrovanda
self-limiting with respect to its population density?

Barry

Dr. Barry A. Meyers-Rice
Carnivorous Plant Newsletter
Conservation Coeditor