Florida drought

From: Steven Stewart (steven.stewart@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Wed Jul 05 2000 - 03:40:29 PDT

Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2000 06:40:29 -0400
From: "Steven Stewart" <steven.stewart@worldnet.att.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Florida drought

Hello Susan and list,
Steven Stewart here,
Thank you for your wish of luck for our Darlingtonia. I'm sure it will need
all it can get.
The amount of rainfall here in Sanford, Fl last week was around 6-7". A very
welcome amount, but only half of our normal annual amount for the year to
date. The seeds and shallow rooted plants that survived are coming back
rapidly. It is the larger trees that are still showing drought stress. I do
not know about all areas of the state, and SE US, but I do not believe the
rain has been enough to increase our water table substancially. I'm not
complaining, but the problem will take more time and water than we have seen
so far. I would be interested to hear from others about how extensive the
drought problem is. I know some of the list servers members have land in the
SE US where cp grow naturally, and am wondering how the lack of rain has
impacted these populations.
Take care,
Steven Stewart
Sanford, Fl, USA