Algae on Neps

From: Joachim Danz (danz@uet.tu-darmstadt.de)
Date: Tue Jul 04 2000 - 13:19:47 PDT

Date: Tue, 04 Jul 2000 22:19:47 +0200
From: Joachim Danz <danz@uet.tu-darmstadt.de>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Algae on Neps

Paul,

> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm having a bit of trouble with algae growing on top of the potting medium
> (1 part orchid mix, 1 part peat) on my Neps.

I believe the growth of algae on the soil of your Neps is a sign
that there are to much nutrients in the soil. From my experience
it is most likely that the orchid mix is fertilized but also the
peat could be fertilized or you're using tap water. So maybe also
your Nepenthes won't pitcher nicely as there is no need to catch
insects?

I think the best way to get rid of this problem is to repot your
plants in a nutrient poor soil suited for Nepenthes.

Regards Joachim

--
Joachim Danz                      danz@uet.tu-darmstadt.de