Algae on Neps

From: Paul Edwards (edwards@net2000.com.au)
Date: Mon Jul 03 2000 - 15:49:10 PDT

Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2000 08:49:10 +1000
From: "Paul Edwards" <edwards@net2000.com.au>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Algae on Neps

Hi everyone,

I'm having a bit of trouble with algae growing on top of the potting medium
(1 part orchid mix, 1 part peat) on my Neps.

I water them about every third day or so (we're in the depths of Winter in
Aust.). I've tried putting sphagnum on the top, but this also quickly gets
plenty of Algae on it.

It is ok to put a layer (say 1/4 inch) of straight course sand on the top?

Seems to me I've got to put something on that water can pass thru, but won't
allow algae to grow on it.

I read with interest the article in the ICPS re Nep mix (and the comments on
the list server), and wouldn't mind giving it a go, but I've never heard of
any of the ingredients.

  Paul Edwards,
  Bampton Park,
  Neerim South, Victoria.