Inorganic Nepethes medium

From: FOODBAG@aol.com
Date: Wed Jun 28 2000 - 12:50:52 PDT

Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 15:50:52 EDT
From: FOODBAG@aol.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Inorganic Nepethes medium

  There was a really interesting article in CPN about using a completely
inorganic medium for growing Nepenthes. It consisted of Lectacon(expanded
clar perls for hydroponics), lava gravel, and Seramis clay perls. A little
fertilizing with something similar to Osmocote was necessary with this
mixture.
  I think I saw the equivalent to the Lectacon on a hydroponics website, but
has anyone in the US tried anything similar and where do you get something
like the Seramis(I assume that's the brand name) clay perls around here?
  Anyone care to share experiences like the above or likewise unique?

  Regards,

  Joe Griffin
  Lincoln, Nebraska USA