TO Joe Griffin

From: Strata, Inc. (strata@flash.net)
Date: Sun Jun 18 2000 - 07:38:54 PDT

Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2000 09:38:54 -0500
From: "Strata, Inc." <strata@flash.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: TO Joe Griffin

Joe, you write:
"......I would like to see a post on your CP interests and exploits....".

Several people from the server have contacted me and we have talked about
our collections, Joe.
My purpose here is to learn a thing or two about CPs and also to offer some
knowlege if I can. My purpose is not to fight with anyone. But I'll be
damned if I let anyone silence me because they don't like what I have to
say. Enough on that subject. Assuming your interest in my CP exploits is
sincere, here it goes:

Sarracenias are my bread-and-butter! I grow them in four bogs in my back
yard, year 'round . I live in North Texas, near Dallas, where we have 105F
(42C) in the summertime and 25F-50F (0C-10C) in the winter, and the
Sarracenias LOVE it.

I grow all 7 species, most of their forms, and countless mongrels. I also
have several forms of VFT and a few Droseras and Utricularias in the bogs.
I also grow 6 species of Nepenthes in my children's bedroom, hanging from
the ceiling, by a window (their room has the best light in the winter).
They (the Nepenthes) are very happy there, growing and pitchering, but it
takes daily watering and twice-a-day misting. One of these days I will buy
a greenhouse kit for about $400, set it up in my back yard, and grow
Nepenthes there).

I have ONE pot with Darlingtonia which is very happy outside in the winter,
but I bring it in the house (air-conditioning) in the summer. I would love
to grow more of them, but our summers are killers for them (sigh...).

I am currently working on a way to automatically water my bogs.

Take care,
Michael Pagoulatos