TO David Anders

From: Strata, Inc. (strata@flash.net)
Date: Sun Jun 18 2000 - 07:27:23 PDT

Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2000 09:27:23 -0500
From: "Strata, Inc." <strata@flash.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: TO  David Anders

You write:
"1) Venus Fly Trap - Red Dragon - It looks very nice in the book. Any
reason not to get it? I have a couple of southward facing windows (Im in
New
Jersey) and it should get several hours of direct sun.".

>No reason not to get it. Assuming from your post that you will keep it
inside, don't forget to provide for 3-5 months dormancy during the winter,
either in a cold
basement/garage or in the refrigerator (temps are propably too low too long
in the
winter in N.J. to leave it outside).

"2) Sundew - Drosera Capensis - Red Narrow Leaf - I undersatnd that the
flowers are nice, and the plant is supposed to be attractive. Any reasons
not to get it, or any other nice Drosera? It seems well suited for a
windowsill.".

>No reason not to get it. It needs constantly moist medium. It will
rapidly spread and you will end up having bunches of them! D. filiformis
tracyii and D. binata are two other favorites of mine (they both get really
big,
fast, and spread through their root system!).

"3) Pitcher plants. I was thinking of the S. Purpurea becaus its not too
large, about a foot high correct? The Leucophylia is supposed to be
attractive, but its 3 feet high. What American Pitcher plants would you
suggest? Many look very nice, esp. the hybrids, I'd prefer a plant thats 1
or at most 2 feet tall."

> S. purpurea and S. psittacina are pretty low. S. rubra doesn't get as
tall as other Sarracenias.
S. exornata (a favorite of mine) and S. catesbaei are also low.
Do you keep your plants in a terrarium? Is that why height is a
consideration? Have you considered growing them in pots outside for the
growing season? You could bring them in for the winter (read about dormancy
in your book). That way, height would not be a consideration.

"Lastly, may I ask your advice on my ailing Venus Fly Trap. It recently has
developed some tiny brown patches that seem thin and devoid of green. Is
this black spot? It doesnt look like the black spot on my Roses outdoors?
Could it be a sign that the plant was exposed to too high heat (scorching?).
  I had it near the window and the soil may have been a tad on the dry side,
still damp, but not as moist as when I got it. I assume I can spray it with
the fungicide I use for my Roses (its not a soap based fungicide).
What types of insects does the Venus Fly trap prefer?".

>VFT traps turn black and die after they "eat" a few times. New pitchers
will grow though!
If you keep your plants in a terrarium and expose it to direct sun, the
temperatures may rise enough to burn your plants. If not, VFTs LOVE plenty
of direct sunlight. As long as your medium is damp your VFTs are ok (they
don't like it too wet for long periods of time).

IF you determine it is fungus, Bonomyl (a replacement for Benomyl) works
great! PeterPaul's nursery in NY has some in stock (Peter D'Amato, thanks
for the tip!).

Your VFTs can trap plenty of house-flies and other bugs on their own! If
you want to feed them,
get some baby crickets from a pet store.

Feel free to Email me if you have more questions.

Take care,
Michael Pagoulatos